Custodial Services Department
Role of Custodial Services
- Perform general cleaning duties within offices, classrooms, public areas, cafeterias etc.
- Collect and remove non-hazardous waste generated from offices, labs, classrooms, cafeterias, washrooms to the appropriate outdoor waste receptacles.
- Collect and remove recyclable waste to the appropriate outdoor recyclable waste receptacles as per the University’s recycling program.
- Collect spent lamps and other designated waste through the appropriate waste stream.
- Clean, disinfect and restock washrooms across campus on a daily basis.
- Perform specialized tasks which maintain the sanitary condition of specialized areas within campus buildings. Areas include: swimming pools and shower facilities, veterinary hospital clinic areas and operating rooms, the Human Anatomy Lab, the Child Care Centre etc.
- Provide cleaning services in preparation for, during, and after special events held on campus. Events include: Campus Days, convocation, sporting events, weddings, and conferences held while school is in session.
- Provide 7 day a week services for events run by Conference Services and Athletics while school is not in session. Events include::the cleaning and related maintenance of residence rooms, classrooms, common areas, cafeterias etc.
- Ensure that current regular services are supplemented when requested and/or agreed upon. These services include restorative cleaning tasks such as re-finishing resilient tile floors, and steam cleaning carpets and upholstered furniture. Services also include stain removal, scrubbing washrooms and overhead cleaning. Activities that cannot take place during regular operational hours.
- Provide first response service for flood cleanups including water extraction and dehumidification of wet building materials and contents. Staff advise when external service providers should be contacted to assist.
- Perform re-lamping services in most areas of campus buildings.
- Submit identified building defects and/or safety issues to the work order desk.
- Provide information and recommendations to construction consultants and contractors regarding building fabric choices. Pre occupancy cleaning services are also provided for newly completed buildings and renovations.
- Perform various overhead tasks requiring the use of scaffolding or large ladders.
- Provide support to the Grounds Department and the Maintenance and Energy Services Department through operation of an 80ft lift-boom unit.
- Perform window cleaning at various heights from both the inside and outside of most campus buildings.
Truck Mount Steam Cleaning
- Provide carpet cleaning service.
- Perform upholstery cleaning services.
- Perform entrance mat cleaning during winter months.
- Assist in flood cleanup.
Student Residences - Facility Support Services
Provide required cleaning services that meet the specific needs of student residences on campus.
Facility Support Services will also:
- Perform complete cleaning of residence bathroom and shower facilities.
- Perform student room turnover cleaning during fall and winter semesters.
- Perform thorough cleaning of all student rooms throughout summer months.