The Role of Construction Co-ordination
Direct all aspects of the construction phase of a capital or renovation project on University property.
Construction Co-ordination will:
- Monitor construction for general compliance with contract documents. Staff ensure applicable codes, standards and legislative requirements related to safety and construction methods are followed.
- Direct the work of external contractors.
- Ensure schedules and deadlines are met through careful coordination.
- Monitor costs and implement cost control measures to keep projects on budget or to justify budget increases.
- Ensure construction sites are clean and safe, protected by appropriate signage and hoarding.
- Administer contracts, authorize contract payments, determine necessary changes to the work and approve costs.
- Implement policy and procedures for cost effective, efficient and safe management of construction and maintenance work.
- Validate discovered conditions to ensure they are handled properly (e.g., unknown hidden damage, asbestos, lead paint, etc.).
- Respond to after-hours construction related emergencies.
- At the turnover stage, ensure that new construction has been properly commissioned and maintenance staff have been trained.
Communication and Liaison Services
- Liaise with the University community, clients, architects, engineers, other consultants and inspection agencies before, during and after construction.
- Provide updates to project stakeholders on current progress.
- Communicate anticipated construction related disturbances, including; service interruptions, road, sidewalk and parking closures and disturbances.
- Arrange move-in times in conjunction with project management.