Architectural Design (Planning)
The Role of Architectural Design (Planning)
Provide design, consulting, and technical support for renovations, interior design, landscape design, space planning, furniture, and finish specifications.
Architectural Design will:
- Manage and develop alteration and renovation plans and budgets, based on provided needs assessments or given client objectives.
- Participate in the building project committee process, including stakeholder reviews, for new construction as requested, including furniture and finishes.
- Provide architectural working drawings, specifications and tendering of construction projects.
- Perform classroom audits to determine deterioration in finishes, lighting, window coverings, etc. Staff administer, facilitate and prioritize classroom repairs and expenditures.
- Facilitate surveys, design and develop landscaping and fencing with input from the Landscape Advisory Committee.
- Minor repair solutions implementation. Provide guards, concrete, roads, sidewalk and pavement repair.
- As requested by departments, provide future needs assessments for program and space needs. Perform furniture inventories and planning to rework existing system furniture.
- Provide move and phase planning, moving departments and/or offices from one space to another.
- Facilitate interior and exterior painting. Provide interior and permanent exterior signage.
Health, Safety and Accessibility Services
- Manage the Demand Maintenance Health and Safety budget. Staff initiating, manage and prioritize improvements based on recommendations from the Environmental Health and Safety Department.
- Perform building and space audits and stakeholder reviews for Crime Prevention through Environmental Design (CPTED).
- Initiate and coordinate annual hoist and lift inspections.
- Assist in the development of accessibility facilities’ budget, design and implementation.
Standards and Permit Services
- Develop, approve and implement University standards for furniture, finishes and interior/exterior signage.
- Consult with the City of Guelph regarding zoning, city plan building permits and by-laws.
- Facilitate building permits for temporary tents for major campus events (ex. Convocation).
- Document University furniture inventories and finishes to establish building or departmental standards.