Back to Maintenance and Energy Services
The Role of the Electrical Shop
Maintain, modify and repair existing building electrical systems, emergency distribution and lighting systems to ensure optimum operation.
Electrical Shop will:
- Test, verify and maintain all electrical distribution systems, motor control centers, lighting panels and general power panels.
- Modify and/or adjust existing mechanical, electrical and lighting systems to improve energy performance.
- Provide temporary electrical distribution systems for seasonal decorative lighting, special outdoor events, temporary facility hook-ups, etc.
- Coordinate new electrical installations with Design, Engineering and Construction (DEC). Offer recommendations and guidance for styles, fixtures and equipment to clients and DEC.
- Conduct thermal scans, as required, of all electrical panels.
- Repair, move or replace light switches, power outlets, fuses, etc. as required. Trace and investigate local power outages.
- Ensure all smoke detectors, fire alarms and life safety systems are in optimal operating condition.
- Manage the contract(s) with the elevator maintenance service provider(s).
- Inspect, clean, and maintain fire alarm system rooms and electrical rooms. Assist high voltage contractors when on site to inspect substations.
Backup Electrical System Maintenance Services
- Maintain emergency generator systems based on the manufacturers’ documented maintenance requirements. Staff validate proper operation and ensure ongoing control in conjunction with the |Central Utilities Plant.
- Provide preventative maintenance on batteries and DC systems for medium and high voltage lineups.
Electrical Standards Compliance Services
- Ensure that all electrical systems are inspected and maintained as required by code. Work with and comply with Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) recommendations and monthly inspections.
- Work in conjunction with DEC to ensure that electrical designs and specifications conform to the University of Guelph electrical standards.