The Role of the Electrical Shop
Maintain, modify and repair existing building electrical systems, emergency distribution and lighting systems to ensure optimum operation.
Electrical Shop will:
- Test, verify and maintain all electrical distribution systems, motor control centers, lighting panels and general power panels.
- Modify and/or adjust existing mechanical, electrical and lighting systems to improve energy performance.
- Provide temporary electrical distribution systems for seasonal decorative lighting, special outdoor events, temporary facility hook-ups, etc.
- Coordinate new electrical installations with Design, Engineering and Construction (DEC). Offer recommendations and guidance for styles, fixtures and equipment to clients and DEC.
- Conduct thermal scans, as required, of all electrical panels.
- Repair, move or replace light switches, power outlets, fuses, etc. as required. Trace and investigate local power outages.
- Ensure all smoke detectors, fire alarms and life safety systems are in optimal operating condition.
- Manage the contract(s) with the elevator maintenance service provider(s).
- Inspect, clean, and maintain fire alarm system rooms and electrical rooms. Assist high voltage contractors when on site to inspect substations.
Backup Electrical System Maintenance Services
- Maintain emergency generator systems based on the manufacturers’ documented maintenance requirements. Staff validate proper operation and ensure ongoing control in conjunction with the |Central Utilities Plant.
- Provide preventative maintenance on batteries and DC systems for medium and high voltage lineups.
Electrical Standards Compliance Services
- Ensure that all electrical systems are inspected and maintained as required by code. Work with and comply with Electrical Safety Authority (ESA) recommendations and monthly inspections.
- Work in conjunction with DEC to ensure that electrical designs and specifications conform to the University of Guelph electrical standards.